Rin Yamaoka is also known as “The Spirit” or “Spirit” for veteran players. Was introduced to Dead by Daylight through its ninth chapter, Shattered Bloodline. In our Spirit guide for beginners. We will go through good perk and addon loadouts and how to use Spirit’s power ability. In Dead by Daylight, Spirit is known for her deadly power ability, which allows her to phase to a different realm to unleash a devastating attack on a survivor quickly.
Spirit is considered easy to play but very difficult to master, making her an excellent choice for both beginners in Dead by Daylight and veteran players trying to climb the ranks. The purpose of our Spirit guide is to make beginners get a basic understanding of how Spirit works. As well as offer good loadouts to both beginners and veteran players alike.
Spirit’s power is called Yamaoka’s Haunting, which allows her to leave her body and move around freely around the map for 5 seconds. In Dead by Daylight, it’s usually called “Phasing” when Spirit uses her power ability Yamaoka’s Haunting.
Yamaoka’s Haunting doesn’t have a cooldown but instead a power gauge that refills over time. Without any add-ons, it takes 15-seconds for Yamaoka’s Haunting to fully replenish. Spirit may only use half of her power gauge and then wait 7.5 seconds to use it again.
While Spirit is phasing
- Spirit cannot see survivors physically, but she can locate scratch marks that are left by survivors and can therefore locate and attack survivors.
- Survivors hear an audio notification when Spirit is phasing towards them.
- Survivors can counter Spirit’s phasing by not leaving scratch marks and walk around if they know that Spirit is nearby.
Tips while using Yamaoka’s Haunting
Veteran Spirit players often start the game by phasing to generators located furthest away from where they spawn. Most likely, there’s going to be at least one survivor trying to repair it. It’s also good to use Yamaoka’s Haunting while chasing injured survivors that are trying to escape. As you gain a movement speed during a phase, survivors who are already trying to run away from Spirit are leaving lots of scratch marks. Making them easy to locate and unleash a surprise attack.
Decent survivors are usually hiding around pallets and waiting for Spirit’s power Yamaoka’s Haunting to expire. With good game sense, you can use this to your advantage and surprise attack survivors before they manage to drop the pallet on you. This tip for Spirit also works for Survivors hiding close to windows and waiting for Spirit to show up to vault over quickly.
Perk Load-Outs for Spirit
Spirit is a very flexible killer and allows you to experiment with different builds and setups. For our Spirit guide, we’ve played with Spirit from the lowest rank (20) to the highest (1), and we will share three different builds that will help you get a basic understanding and improve your gameplay as Spirit.
Beginner Spirit Build
Our beginner Spirit guide is focused on newer players in Dead by Daylight that hasn’t unlocked many perks from other killers. With our beginner Spirit build, you don’t need any perks from other killers! Luckily we are using two perks exclusive to Spirit, which means that you already have them. The other two, Sloppy Butcher and Whispers, are found randomly in the bloodweb when leveling up Spirit.
Perks Explanation – Beginner Spirit Build
- Rancor: We are using this perk to see all survivors’ aura for 3 seconds whenever a generator is fully repaired. By using Rancor, we can also kill our obsession when all generators are repaired. The only downside of using Rancor is that the obsession can see our aura for 3 seconds when a generator is repaired. The extra visibility defiantly makes up for the obsession of seeing us.
- Sloppy Butcher: This perk helps us track injured survivors as they are bleeding more frequently. Injured survivors healing speed is also decreased by 20%. To make the most out of Sloppy Butcher, you can use Spirit’s power Yamaoka’s Haunting to quickly locate injured survivors that managed to escape from your line of sight.
- Spirit Fury: As a beginner to Dead by Daylight. You are going to get stunned by pallets quite often. Spirit Fury is an excellent choice because once you break two pallets, the next one breaks instantly. You do, however, still suffer from the stun effect.
- Whispers: Playing killer for the first few times are going to feel overwhelming. Whispers give you a sound notification (Like a whisper) every time a survivor is within a 32-meter range of you.
Playing with our beginner Spirit build allows you to get a basic understanding of Spirit and all her abilities. When you have climbed a few ranks and feel like your games are becoming more and more difficult. It’s time to change from our beginner Spirit build to our next one!
Standard Spirit Build
Our standard Spirit build puts more pressure on survivors and slows down the game speed. This means that survivors are not going to repair generators as fast as they normally do. Allowing you to continue climbing the ranks and making your games way easier.
To play our standard Spirit build, you are required to unlock Barbecue & Chili from Leatherface and Hex: Ruin from The Hag. Both perks are powerful on all killers. It’s better to unlock them as early as you can!
Perks Explanation – Standard Spirit Build
- Hex: Haunted Ground – We are using Haunted Ground because survivors will try cleansing Hex: Ruin but will most likely end up cleansing our Haunted Ground totem. Which will make all survivors suffer from the Exposed status effect. This means that you will down them in one basic attack.
- Hex: Ruin – Excellent perks to prevent survivors from repairing generators too fast. With Ruin, you don’t need to run around the trial and damage generators as the perk does it automatically for you. Ruin with Haunted Ground is a perfect match; aiming to unlock both perks at the highest quality is a priority.
- Barbecue & Chili: This perk is great for farming bloodpoints as you’ll get up to a 100% increase after the trial is done. This means that 20.000 bloodpoints turn to 40.000 etc. It also allows us to see survivors working on generators when putting a survivor on the hook.
- Hex: No One Escapes Death: Activates when all generators have been repaired. Allows you to down all survivors in one hit until the totem has been cleansed. If you have a bad game, this perk can defiantly turn the tides! It also gives you a minor buff to your movement speed.
Our standard build can be played indefinitely, meaning that it’s powerful at all ranks. But to spice things up, we’re going to include one niche build for Spirit.
Our one-shot Spirit build allows you to one-shot survivors at all times if played correctly. In the Dead by Daylight community, playing around perks causing the exposed status effect can be considered toxic and/or cheesy. But at the end of the day, we are playing killer, and it’s our goal to win against the survivors by any means necessary.
To play our one-shot Spirit build, you have to unlock the following perks from other killers. Hex: Ruin and Hex: Devour Hope from Hag. Aswell as Make Your Choice from The Pig.
Perks Explanation – One-Shot Spirit
As we have covered Hex: Ruin, and Haunted Ground in our Standard Spirit Build, we’re only going to cover Make Your Choice and Devour Hope.
- Make Your Choice: Has a relatively short cooldown of 60 seconds. Unlike other perks that cause the exposed status effect, Make Your Choice doesn’t require a totem.
- Hex: Devour Hope: If played correctly, it can cause all survivors to be exposed until the hex totem is cleansed. We’re also playing with Haunted Ground, and the chances are high that the survivors are going to cleanse our Haunted Ground totem instead of our Devour hope. As Spirit, you need to keep an eye on your Devour Hope totem as the survivors should never cleanse it.
Every addon for Spirit plays around her unique power Yamaoka’s Haunting. Some increase Spirit’s movement speed while phasing while others focus on recovery. Making sure you can use Yamaoka’s Haunting as much as possible.
Our Spirit guide will include two add-on setups that work really well for both beginners and veteran players.
Before we share our add-on setup for Spirit, I’d like to point out that it’s not necessary to play with add-ons, but they do enhance your power ability. But can you do well without using add-ons? The short answer is yes, you can!
To play with the standard add-on build, it’s considered easy to unlock the required add-ons. Both of them are uncommon and will often show up in the bloodweb.
Add-ons Explanation – Standard
- White Hair Ribbon: Reduces the time it takes to activate Spirit’s power ability Yamaoka’s Haunting. Very easy to unlock, and you will find lots of White Hair Ribbon’s while leveling Spirit.
- Rin’s Broken Watch: It takes 15 seconds to recover Spirit’s power ability Yamaoka’s Haunting fully. With Rin’s Broken Watch, you’ll speed up the recovery to approximately 11-12 seconds. It’s not a huge difference, but you’ll still see a gameplay difference when you play as Spirit.
It is considered somewhat difficult to find in the bloodweb as we are playing with two rare addons. To play with this add-on build, you’re required to keep an eye out for the required addons in the bloodweb as they don’t usually show up.
Add-ons Explanation – Rare
- Katsumori Talisman: Increases the duration of Spirit’s power ability Yamaoka’s Haunting. This means that you can use it longer before it fully depletes and has to recharge. It doesn’t affect the recovery speed at all.
- Dirty Uwabaki: Makes Spirit very fast while using Yamaoka’s Haunting. Catching up to survivors and patrolling generators is going to be much easier!
We hope you enjoyed reading our very detailed Dead by Daylight guide for one of the strongest killers the game has to offer, The Spirit. Our builds work great for beginners and veterans alike.
19.02.2021 Guide was created.
17.10.2021 Updated for Dead by Daylight’s latest chapter “Hour of the Witch”